Friday, July 29, 2005

Day Six

Yesterday was a fun-filled day. We actually did stuff for the entire day. Shannon, a girl Elke has known since Kindergarten, goes to FIT, and she lives down in SoHo. So we met her down there for lunch and shopping.

We had lunch at a Thai restaurant and I got this delicious wrap with some sort of beef in it. I don't understand how everything in New York tastes as good as it does. Maybe it's because you walk so much you earn every bite/calorie. Shannon was so thin her clothes were falling off her body, but I guess she's been ill recently and has trouble keeping the weight on. Either way, I was glad to see her eat so much at lunch. We'll probably be seeing a lot more of her, since she's one of the only people we know here. But I don't mind - I really like her, even if she is a tad bit flaky. But what do you expect - she's a fashion major.

The first place we went was American Apparel, this really cool store that has basic clothing in solid colors. It's like a rainbow of stuff. I didn't get anything, but Elke bought a ton of stuff. They have this crazy scarf-thing that you can turn into 6-7 different shirts and skirts for $15, but I wanted to watch the online instructional video before buying one to make sure getting dressed wouldn't be a 15-minute ordeal. It doesn't look too difficult, so I think the hardest part will be picking a color, since they make them in every color you could possibly want. Maybe I'll just buy one for everyone for whom I need to get presents.

And then we went to Laila Rowe, an accessories store where everything was half-off. I got this awesome beaded tiered necklace for $10 that will match just about everything I own. We also went to Patricia Field's store, who did the costumes for Sex and the City. It was really funny because it's mostly a store for drag queens. Not very Carrie-Bradshaw-chic at ALL.

Shannon had to head home after that to wake up her 32-year-old boyfriend so they could go to physical therapy together. She's had scoliosis for years, and then senior year of high school she broke her collar bone in a car accident. We went to her apartment for a little bit. It was really nice, but I couldn't believe how small it was for $2,000 a month (no utilities included). Her boyfriend owns a club, but she has to work 3-4 jobs. Not all of them are necessary, but she said she gets sad when she sees other people with nice things. She also does free-lance make-up on the side. She's even done Joan Rivers' make-up before. Apparently her face feels just as plasticky as it looks.

After we left there, Elke and I headed to the H&M on 5th Avenue. We'd been to the two in SoHo, but had little success. The flagship store wasn't much better. I got a shirt that I might return and some blue eyeshadow. There was other stuff there I liked, but not for the price. I'm going to wait a week for it to go on sale. They have a really high turnover rate.

By the time we finally made our way back to the apartment, Garrett was nearly here. He had a big MSNBC intern thing to do today in the city, so he spent the night here. He had to be at Rockefeller Center for the Today Show at 7.30 a.m. and Elke and I decided to go with him to watch, so we didn't do much last night. We went and got dinner at Noche Mexicana, a little Mexican restaurant near us and then just hung out here.

It was a busy day for us. However, I'm kind of sad that we haven't done anything very classic New York, such as go to a museum. When we stayed in the other night I started compiling a list of all the places I want to go before we live. Have to be sure not to miss anything!

1 Comments:

At 3:25 AM, Blogger mary ann said...

I'm really glad you're having such a fun time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home