Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Day Three

Just as I was getting ready to go to bed Sunday night, the air conditioner in my room broke. It made really bad noises all day and then it gave one last exploding blast and quit. Sleeping in the nice, cool air conditioned living room is not an option because the cats are in here all night. It's not so hot that I'm THAT desperate.

Yesterday we finally got up around 2:00, but as I said, we needed it. We showered (also very needed) and I think we didn't make it out the door until around 4:00. We went to the Carnegie Deli to eat and got some knishes. Then we walked up 5th Ave and through Central Park for a couple of miles, but I started to feel really sick (indigestion, I think) and we decided to catch the subway back home.

We hung out here for a while. Despite the many hours of sleep I got the night before, I had to take a nap in order to get my stomach ache to go away. Then we dawdled around for a while, eating and stuff. And then finally, we went out.

We went to this awesome jazz club, Smoke, that Elke had been to before. It's not too far away - a little over 10 blocks, so we walked. It was nice to get more of a handle on where exactly we live. The club was amazing. There was a jam session, which is like open mike night only better. You sign up to play a specific instrument, and then it's like a revolving door of musicians. It's amazing, because despite the fact that they're playing almost every song with different people, it's all completely cohesive-sounding. One vocalist brought her own music, but we hated her for ruining the improv of it all. And then there was this Asian tourist who sang "Amazing Grace" in perfect Engrish and thought I was going to explode with the laughter I was trying so hard to conceal.

Oh, and on the walk home we were able to give someone directions. Made me feel very New York.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home